Sunday, April 17, 2016

Dzongri trek- Part 3

Hello. I know I have been very very poor with updating these posts on time, but here is the last and final edition of the Dzongri Trek journals. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed being there (Just kidding, you can't unless you really go there!!)

But yes, before you start reading this final edition, at least skim through the first two parts. 
Part 1: http://bratbigb.blogspot.in/2015/09/dzongri-trek-part-1.html
Part 2: http://bratbigb.blogspot.in/2015/10/dzongri-trek-part-2.html

Day 6

Woke up to light being flashed on my face. Puran tells me the sky is super clear. It's 3:45am. We left at 4:15ish on a super dark, super cold and super steep climb to the peak and the milestone. 45 minutes of huffing and puffing and WE WERE THERE!!!!! What a view. North kabru, south kabru, pandim, .... And the mighty Kanchenjunga. Took a billion pictures, screamed a lot. We had conquered what we came for. If there was rain and even today if we couldn't have seen the view point, I for one would have been very disappointed. I even planned another trip here within the next couple of years in my head. But we did it!!
Here are some breathtaking pics-

That's us at the peak.


Those colourful things that you see at the bottom were our tents in Dzongri. We scaled so high in less than an hour.


The view brought out the selfie bug in all of us.


After going back to the hut in tzongri, we ate some breakfast and quickly packed and started the steep walk back to tshoka. The weather was bad and it rained throughout. 95% of the walk was downhill and taking a look at the terrain I was so proud of myself that I actually climbed this in a day. Anyway, sliding and skidding and constantly slipping down, we reached tshoka before 1 o clock. So much relief. 12 of us sat in a bed and cracked jokes till most of us had stomachaches. We then had dinner where we ate rice with sprouts dal, aloo paneer and soya mushroom subji. I wanted to fall at our cook bhaiyya's feet. They all trekked with us all the way but each of them carried around 30kgs of supplies on them while walking. They also secretly baked a cake for Sanjay because it was his birthday. It was the most delicious cake ever. They made it with the little ingredients that they had. We cut the cake at 11:45 pm just before the day ended and went back to sleep. Tomorrow is the final day of the trek. Back to Yuksom. It is over 16 kms long and took us 2 days to trek from Yuksom to Tshoka. But a lot of it is downhill. Praying for no rains. Let's see how this goes.

Day 7

Last and final day of the trek. We woke up super early and were chit chatting. We were given pancakes and porridge for breakfast. We started walking down. Every step reminded me of human civilization. In the last 7-8 days the only thing that gave me comfort was the faces of these 12 people. But I could do with meeting more people. While walking down, suddenly we became the experts. People going up with their teams ask us how the climate was up there and how long would it take to get there. I gave confident answers as if I lived there all my life. Funny how people randomly expect you to know answers because you are in some position. Too many epiphanies on this trip. I'll spare you the details. I could sense the ending. I ran, I fell down, I picked myself up and ran again. Finally reached the restaurant and drank a bottle of water. Slowly others started getting there too. We hugged, shared victory screams, smiled and laughed that we did it. Our lives were never going to be the same again. 

Most of those smiles have a story. Everyone has their own victory. Someone gave up smoking and wanted to prove that their lungs could take it, someone wanted to push their body to new limits. As for me, I just want to say something to my 7 year old self who used to sit and watch his friends play. He had severe wheezing and asthma problem and his family had to move out of Delhi because of his health condition. Well my dear friend, you have a life time of playing basketball ahead. You will also scale a height of 4300m on foot without wheezing or breathing heavily even once. Life does get better. 

The End

No comments: